Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A SMALL DRINK

cost me a big price in my life . . . .


Still I remember it, as if it were yesterday, the day my life was gone in dark. . . . the voice of my love begging me to slow down . . . will hunt me till the day I die.


I promised her that I’d never let anything happen to her but I broke that promise. Riya and I were good friends, but secretly I loved her so much but I didn’t express my love to her. We had been friends since the day we were born, same day, same hospital but 3 hours apart making me elder. Our Parents had been old friends from school.


On that fateful day with very difficulty I got the permission from her parents to take her to the party with me. When we reached the party place she was very nervous because she had never been to a party like that before. So I took her held and gently took her inside the house.


We met some of our friends and had a chat. One of my friends offered me a beer but Riya told me not to drink but I told her I would only have one. So she let me have it, but that one turned into two then three. . . . . .
When we were dancing I started to get dizzy, which Riya Noticed.


“Manoj I think you’ve had enough drink” she said removing the bottle. “I’m going to call Hari so he can pick us “


“Don’t bother your brother Riya . I’ll be fine. ” When I said fine I felt a little queasy but I didn’t let Riya know that, lest she will get upset, but there I made a big mistake”


“No Manoj I’ll call Hari,” she took her mobile but I grabbed her mobile
“I’m fine Riya. With that word I headed to the car and got in Riya came and got in too still she insisted on calling her brother to pick us. She tried to grab the car key from me but failed & I started the car & rove off in high speed..
“ Manoj ! Pull over the car. We’ll call Hari , He will come & pick us”
“No it’s ok. I’m Fine”.
“Please Manoj! We’re going very fast, slow it down”
“I can handle it, you know I never do anything to hurt you.”
“Manoj! Please stop I’m Scared” she was about to cry
“ I promise I won’t let anything happen to you. “


Manoj ! Watch o. . u. . .t . . . . .
I turned my attention to the road when I saw the lorry slam in to mine. My left leg got stuck Riya didn’t wear a seat belt, so she was thrown off the seat. Her head hit and smashed the window of her door that only I saw . . . .


When I woke up I was in hospital bed with bandage . . . . my left leg fully bandaged my father sitting next to my bed. . . .
“ Riya” I yelled
“Thank God . . . . Son you scared us, I will call the doctor.”
Father ran outside the room to call the doctor.
A Doctor and Nurse came running in after my parents and checked me
“Where is Riya? . . .”
No one answered
“Where is Riya? I want see her . . . If she is ok? . . . .”
My father came and told me “calm down, son . . . every thing will be fine my son.”
“I want to see her now father”


At that time Riya’s Parents Entered the room, instead of yelling or hitting me, her mother came and hugged me tightly. Father also did the same. . . . told me she was no more with us. . and she died on the spot. . . .
“What? No . . . She can’t leave me alone”
I Screamed and cried and cried and cried . . . until now.


I took treatment for six months, my parents and Riya’s Parents supported me to come back in to my life. I can’t walk now because my leg’s bone is fully damaged so now I’m moving in a wheelchair with my memories of my Riya.
I lost her forever; she was gone and would never come back. All my friends and relations would never mention Riya’s around me; they are scared I might do something silly if they mention her name. Today it’s almost 3 years since her death. So I lay here on my bed, tears rolling down my cheeks while looking at the picture of Riya.


A SMALL DRINK COST ME A BIG PRICE IN MY LIFE . . . .

No comments: